At St. John’s, we are life-long learners. Our programs seek to facilitate individuals from age 18 to age 108 in their efforts to learn more about the Bible, about the intersection of our faith and our lives, and about our call to do work in the world. Here are some of the many programs we offer to facilitate adult learning:
Sunday Morning Classes (beginning at 9:15 am)
- Adult Sunday School - We offer numerous Sunday School classes for adults. Some of these classes focus on Bible study while others study books related to our faith.
Adventure Class: Young Adults and Couples--Formations Curriculum and Bible Study-Rm 102
New Class: 30-Somethings (name TBA)--Rm. TBA
Beacon Class: Men's Class with focus on Bible Study--Formations Curriculum-Rm. 226
Didymus Class: Couple's/Co-Ed Class--Formations and Theme-based Curriculum--Rm. 224
Durden/Fellowship: Men's Class--Formations--Rm. 103
Encouragers Class: Co-Ed--Formations--Rm. 106
Farside Class: Couples/Co-Ed-Book Studies, Bible studies, Theme-based Curriculum-
Friendship Class: Women's Class--Formations-Rm. 104
Joy Class: Women's Class--Formations-Rm. 220
McLeod/Brown Class--Couples/ Co-Ed-Book Studies, Bible studies, Theme-based Curriculum-
Pathfinders Class--Couples/Co-Ed-Formations, Book Studies, Bible Studies, Theme-based-
Seekers Class: Couples/Co-ed-Bible study, Bible history, Ethics/Theme-based-Rm. 222
Senior Adult Co-Ed: Couples/Co-ed--Formations-Rm. 208
Unity Class: Women's Class--Formations-Rm. 116
- Holy Grounds - This class is open to anyone, every week and offers lively discussion on issues of faith and its interaction with relevant social issues. This fall's series begins with a study on The Parables of Jesus. We'll address parables as Jesus uses them to teach about the Kingdom of God, about issues of power, and about a radical vision of God's love for us. Holy Grounds meetings in the Church Lounge (across from Gym).
Our Wednesday night programs offer a variety of opportunities for adults to engage in learning. This fall, our classes include:
--a series on teaching styles and teacher resources;
--a series on finding the right words for comforting others;
--our Nothing But Needles group and their needle-work ministry;
--a series on Faith and Politics, including screenings of "Gospel Without Borders" and
"Different Books, Common Words: Baptists and Muslims" and panel discussions
Other Study Offerings
- Women’s Bible Study - Our Women’s Bible Study is offered for women of all ages who are available during the 11 a.m. hour on Wednesdays. We generally meet every Wednesday to discuss one or two chapters of the Bible. We began this effort in the summer of 2002 with the intention of journeying through the Bible. Any woman is welcome to join us at anytime and we hope that you will.
- Devotional Group - Our weekly devotional group began in the summer of 2002. We now have around 130 email addresses in our group that represent far more than 130 readers. We currently have a wonderful line-up of writers for our weekly devotional. We hope you’ll join us.
- Book Club - Book Club that meets every second Tuesday at 11 a.m. in the church library. We would love to have you join us! Childcare arrangements can also be made.
E-mail Martha@stjohnsbaptistchurch.org for more information regarding our ministry to and with adults.